Passport Requirements

Don’t get left behind, make sure you have the proper identification to board the ship.  Remember, you are leaving the country!

We strongly encourage guests to visit the Department of Homeland Security website (CLICK HERE) or the Foreign Affairs & International Trade Canada website (CLICK HERE) for the most up-to-date traveler information including passport and visa requirements as well as travel advisories and safety recommendations.

Please Note: Guests who fail to have the required documents as determined by U.S. Customs & Immigration will be denied boarding and such guests shall not be entitled to any refund nor shall MEGACRUISE or NCL have any further liability to such guests.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation, or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.


Please also note that as of January 22, 2018 not all driver’s licenses or state IDs may be used as a form of ID when flying. For more information on REAL ID and Air Travel, click HERE.

To find out if your state is REAL ID Compliant be sure to click HERE. BE PREPARED!


The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

For both security and immigration purposes, each guest is responsible for bringing all necessary travel documents and identification required for the cruise itinerary. Only a valid passport (please note exception for closed loop sailings) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport. However, guests who will be traveling without a passport will need proof of citizenship such as one of the following:

  1. PassportRECOMMENDED– U.S. Passport must be valid through the dates of travel of the cruise as well as not expired.
  2. Passport Card– A valid unexpired U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.
  3. Original or Certified copy of a GOVERNMENT Issued Birth Certificate with a raised seal or in some cases a holographic image. Neither a notarized copy of a birth certificate NOR a Live Hospital Birth Certificate will be accepted by CBP. Please also keep in mind that if you are traveling using a birth certificate and you have had a name change (i.e.: marriage), you will need to provide proof of that name change (i.e.: marriage license).
  4. Consular report of Birth Abroad– Notarized copies are not acceptable. We highly recommend that if at all possible, guests travel with a Passport.
  5. Certificate of Naturalization –Notarized copies are not acceptable. We highly recommend that if at all possible, guests travel with a Passport.
  6. Enhanced Driver’s license (EDL) – There are currently only five (5) U.S. States and four (4) Canadian Provinces producing EDL’s.
  • U.S.: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington
  • Canada: British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec

In addition to proof of citizenship, guests will be required to present a valid government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

ONLY US Citizens can sail using a valid Proof of Citizenship (see above) along with a government issued photo ID. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or government-issued photo identification with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: We have been informed by the CBP that they will NOT accept the following forms of ID:

  1. Notarized Photo Copy of a Birth Certificate
  2. Notarized Photo Copy of a Passport
  3. Record of Live Birth from a Hospital / Hospital Birth Certificate
  4. World Passport
  5. Social Security Card
  6. Voter Registration Card
  7. Baptismal Certificate

These documents are NOT WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable proof of citizenship.

For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit


U.S. Alien Residents

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)
U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and, in some cases, a passport (depending on itinerary). Guests must check with their consulate or appropriate government authority to determine if their nationality requires they also bring a passport along with their Alien Resident Card.

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to United States.

Card renewal is an important matter. ARC holders (United States permanent residents) with expired cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry/reentry into the United States. If your ARC was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your card is expired, or it is about to expire, you should renew your card before you sail.

If you are holding an old edition ARC WITHOUT an expiration date, you will not be detained from entering the United States, but U.S. Customs and Border Protection highly suggests that you apply for a new card before you sail.

For additional information, visit:

Other Non-U.S. Citizens
All guests of nationalities other than United States must have a valid passport for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States along with any and all valid visas (if applicable). Please see below additional information regarding the Visa Waiver Program and Six Months Passport Validity Rule excepted countries.

Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine-readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guests are advised to check with their consulate, or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents.

Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier – e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

Citizens traveling under the Visa Waiver Program:
All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization.

For additional details about ESTA and/or the Visa Waiver Program please visit:

For more information, to see if your country qualifies for the Visa Waiver program, and to apply for a travel authorization, see ESTA.

All guests must present the required documentation at embarkation. Guests without the required documentation will be denied boarding and no refund will be issued. Please understand that NCL will strictly enforce this requirement to be in compliance with this important U.S. Government mandate.

Family Legal Documents: 
Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa (if required) or the child’s birth certificate (original or certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

You will need a valid passport and, in some cases, a visa. If you live in the U.S., you will also need the original copy of your Alien Registration Card (ARC or “Green Card”) and any other documentation the countries on your itinerary require due to your alien status.

Citizens from the Visa Waiver Program countries will require a machine-readable passport valid for the duration of their voyage.

A machine-readable passport has a code like this on the bottom of the picture page:

MEGACRUISE and the other Released Parties (as herein defined) assume no responsibility for advising you of immigration requirements. Non-U.S. citizens, including resident aliens, must contact the appropriate consulates, embassies and/or immigration office(s) to inquire about necessary documentation for the Cruise’s ports of call.

Your name, as listed on your travel documents, must exactly match your name as listed on your Cruise documents.

 Other Relevant Links

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Department of Homeland Security

Applying for a Passport